Each traveler who wants to get acquainted with Daugavpils should definitely visit the Church Hill that has gathered the churches of four different confessions. Martin Luther Cathedral designed by V. Neimanis was built in 1893. Roman Catholic Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary was built in 1905, and later in 1909 it acquired an organ created by A. Homan from Poland. SS Boris and Gleb Russian Orthodox Cathedral was built in 1905 as a garrison church. Church of the Community of Old Believers was built in 1908–1928.
St.Boris and Gleb Orthodox Cathedral was built in 1904-1905 and was consecrated on 12 June 1905. t.Boris and Gleb Cathedral in the sense of the use of numerous decorative elements is recognized as the most gorgeous orthodox cathedral of this region. Its building is justly considered as one of the most spacious, richly decorated and arranged orthodox cathedrals not only in Latgale, but also in whole Latvia.
The building of the Elernes Church was constructed in 1650 by Heinrich Tienen. Until 1761 it served the needs of the Lutheran Church, but later the Lutherans exchanged with Catholics with the Sīkele Church. The architecture of the church, in both volume and details, is in correspondence with other churches that were built in the territory of the Courland Duchy of that time.
The church in the urban landscape is distinguished by its pointed tower made in the Gothic style and by light finishing of the facade. In addition, this project combines classical and modern, as the temple of God is located near the cultural and historic wooden building which is typical for Daugavpils.
Grīva Roman Catholic Church of the Holy Mary was built in 1881 – 1889 and altered in 1935 – 1942. Next to, it a bell tower was built in 1990 (arhitect: Kazimirs Lielausis). Grīva Church is a brick building with Romanesque and Gothic elements in the facade decoration. The most important interior features are the 3 stained glass windows with figural scenes, made at the St. Lucas Workshop in Warshaw in 1889. The pipe organ made at the Krustpils workshop of Friedrich Weissenborn in 1890.
The church was consecrated in 1897. The church is a one-story wooden log building that is not covered with boards. The pointed towers with four-sided roof are located above the side entrances on the roofs. The part of the altar roof is decorated with a tower, which hexagonal volume supports the cupola with a cross in the form of an onion.
Old-believer’s Prayer House of The Annunciation of the Most Holy Mother of God and Nicholas the Wonderwoker in Gajok. Old-believer’s Prayer House in Gajok was consecrated on March 30 in 1886. The church was one of the most beautiful religious buildings in Daugavpils. The hand of a professional is clearly seen in the architectural shapes of the church.
Old-believer’s Prayer House in Niderkuni was built in 1907, but in 1908 – 1911 work on the interior design was carried out. The parishioners presented icons and books to the new church. The icons painted by Konstantin Pavlov, Vasilij Kirillin, Barbara Kirillina and Leontij Seleznev have remained in the iconostasis till nowadays.
St. Alexander Nevsky Russian Orthodox Chapel was consecrated in 2004. Located in A. Pumpurs public garden (20 Saules Street) on the former site of St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral (1864–1961). The chapel is a memorial structure that has a symbolic meaning, serving as a reminder of the demolished cathedral.
Krivosejeva Old Believers Chapel is built in the beginning of the 20th century, around 1906. The roof was erected in 1926. The chapel are built in the log house technique and clad with horizontally painted boards. Alongside the temple there is an Old Believers’ Cemetery, where you can see ancient unique grave monuments – steles.
The available sources indicate different dates of the prayer house building – in the range from the early 20th century until 1940. The chapel is interesting because it gives the idea of how the religious building of Old Believers looked till 1905, at that time, when they were not allowed to give a recognizable form to their churches.
It was built in 1894 and is located near graves. It is built of red bricks; the decorative masonry bands are made in the corners of the building, above the footings and under the roof cornices. A semi-circular-shaped sheet metal roof is constructed above the entrance door, where there is also a small round window with St. Nicholas painting in the center of it.