Interesting Facts about Daugavpils District
- 742 years ago, in 1275, on the top of Vecpils settlement, on the site of the ancient castle of Latgallians, the Livonian Order built the Dinaburg castle that is a predecessor of Daugavpils City.
- Russian Empress Catherine I (Marta Elena Skavronska) (1684 – 1727) was born in Viski.
- The pastor Oscar Svensons (1822 – 1884) who was the first teacher of Janis Plieksans (Latvian poet Rainis) served in Egypt’s Lutheran Parish Church.
- The canonics Jazeps Akilevics and Tomas Kosovskis, the authors of spiritual literature of Latgale and Latgale grammar, lived in Liksna in 19 century.
- The chancellor of Germany Otto von Bismarck (1815 – 1898) liked to hunt in Medumi fortests and he was also a frequent guest of Medumi landlord August von Etingen.
- Wessel Freytag von Loringhoven (Wessel Freiherr Freytag von Loringhoven) (1899 – 1944) was born in Lielborne manor in 1899. He participated in the preparation of the assassination against Adolf Hitler on July 20, 1944.