Daugavpils Fortress Culture and Information Centre is established in the building of a former water tower the foundations of which were laid in 1865. Previosly the building was a component part of the fortress water – supply system and also provided water to the fountain in the fortress boulevard.
Museums and exhibitions
Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre is a multifunctional complex of contemporary art, culture and education situated in the Arsenal building at Daugavpils Fortress. It is the only place in Eastern Europe where the original masterpieces of the famous painter and the founder of the abstract expressionism Mark Rothko can be seen.
The childhood of Latvian poet, translator, master of drama, public and political figure Jānis Rainis (1865 – 1929) was spent here, in Berkenele Manor. There is opportunity to see expositions “Rainis and Berkenele”, “Nursery”. Museum offers a wide range of workshops and the opportunity to host seminars.
There is a new permanent exposition devoted to the history of medicine in Daugavpils Fortress. Three halls present a great number of objects, photos and documents that tell us how people were treated in centuries past and gives a brief overview of Daugavpils medical institutions’ history. One of the halls is fully devoted to contraception.
Museum’s permanent exhibition is dedicated to the life and work of first national awakening members in Latvia – Skrinda brothers. There is an opportunity to participate in various thematic programs and local crafts workshops. Here offers the opportunity to taste latgalian traditional food “coma” local bread, honey and herbal tea.
Jewish of Daugavpils and Latgale Museum is located on the 2nd floor of the Daugavpils synagogue. The museum exposition tells about Jewish life and living traditions in Latgale and Daugavpils since 1935. The exposition represents the change in the number of Jews, sibling’s stories in photos, household and religious items as well as a variety of publications: magazines, calendars and books about Jews life in Daugavpils and Latgale.
The Exposition of the History of Medicine, which broadly reflects the topic of the history of medicine, is located in the hostel of the Agency of Daugavpils University “Daugavpils Medical College of Daugavpils University”. The exposition consists of the medical equipment of the 70-80s of the 20th century, work accessories and tools of various medical specialists, specialized equipment and diagnostic equipment, different types of tubes as well as hygiene and pharmaceuticals products and pharmacy glassware.
The museum is located in Daugavpils Fortress. Artefacts that are viewable in Museum of the First World War (1914 – 1918) was found in surrounding of Daugavpils. A museum that is dedicated to the World War I time period. A collection of weapons, artillery shells, grenade and household items (e.g. bottles, glasses and other) are displayed. Old postcards and unique photos can also be found in the collection.
Daugavpils Fortress is a place where the second largest in the Baltic States hibernating bat colony inhabits. The fortress walls with a high humidity, as well as a special microclimate in the fortifications create favorable conditions for dwelling. Exposition of the Daugavpils Bat Centre is located in the lateral room of the Niсholas Gate in Daugavpils Fortress.
It is possible to learn about the Latvian folk traditions by working practically, participating in workshops and classes in the House of Traditions. Traditional Latvian festivities are celebrated here, folk craft workshops, exhibitions, training sessions on playing folk musical instruments, seminars on traditional Latvian festivals, games and dances, as well as dance evenings, conversations and discussions on preservation of intangible cultural heritage are held here.
The exhibition takes place in the lobby on the 2nd floor of Daugavpils University (DU) building, Vienibas iela 13. The album itself is a property of Vatican Library, it was presented to the Pope Leo XIII in 1888 by the inhabitants of the Baltic region as a gift on the 50th anniversary of the Pope’s ordination.
“Bunker” gallery is located in the basement of an apartment building in the authentic Soviet-era bunker with the heavy original metal door. There are more than 300 exhibits that belongs to different periods of history: the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, World War I and World War II, Latvia’s first independence period and Soviet time.
The ancient craft workshop “Klēts” has been established in the House of Rainis in Berkenele. On the first floor of the building there is an exposition of various ancient crafts and a multifunctional room for organizing various events. The attic is divided into two parts – one of them is an exhibition hall, but in the smallest part of the attic there is a heated room – a workshop, where in summer and winter craftsmen can work, but visitors can learn various skills of ancient crafts.
The First World War has left long-lasting scars not only in people’s destinies and hearts, but also in a large territory of present-day Latvia and Lithuania, where the so-called fronts were located for several years, including the “Life and Death” line. A complex system of fortifications with ditches, trenches and bunkers was built on both sides of the front line.