1275 – Dinaburg (Daugavpils) was first mentioned in historical chronicles.
1582 – Dinaburg acquired the rights of the city.
City territory – 72.48 km2
Population (as of January 1, 2022) – 79 120
DAUGAVPILS COAT OF ARMS
On a blue background – a wavy silver beam, a golden lily on top and a fragment of a silver castellated brick wall. This coat of arms was approved on October 30, 1925. The coat of arms has certain parallels with the seal of the Dinaburg castle komtur: a lily since ancient times has been a symbol of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and the castellated wall is a reference to the old Dinaburg castle – the birthplace of Daugavpils.
The current city flag has been established in 1937.
It has been revived as one of the official city’s symbols on the 21st of June, 1990.
Description of the flag: Rectangular shaped, the area is divided in two similar horizontal zones: the upper part is carmine-coloured, the lower part is coloured white. In the middle of the flag is situated Daugavpils’ coat of arms. The correlation of height and width is 1:2.