Hover

St. Anthony’s Roman Catholic Church in Sprukti

  • St. Anthony’s Roman Catholic Church in Sprukti
  • St. Anthony’s Roman Catholic Church in Sprukti
  • St. Anthony’s Roman Catholic Church in Sprukti
  • St. Anthony’s Roman Catholic Church in Sprukti
  • St. Anthony’s Roman Catholic Church in Sprukti
Address
Sprukti, Naujene parish, Daugavpils district (Sprukti, Naujenes pagasts, Daugavpils novads)
GPS:  ,
Phone
+371 26790362
+371 65476748
Email
taka@dnd.lv

St. Anthony’s Roman Catholic Church in Sprukti was built of cement bricks at the expenses of the parish and the bishop in 1933 – 1938.

History of the church:
In Sprukti there had been wooden chapel. In one documents it is mentioned that it was built in 1820, in other – in 1785. The chapel was antiquated already in 1866. The present-day Sprukti parish was found in 1933 (Izvalta and Jezupova parishes were merged together, altogether 12 villages and approximately 1500 members). In 3 July 1933 Vaclavs Kozlovskis was elected dean of new parish of Sprukti. He settled in private houses. Dean V.Kozlovskis, who in his youth was building technician in Daugavpils, worked out the building plan of the church and led all the building works. The parish brought stones and gravel necessary for the building.
In 10 September 1933 dean of Kraslava J.Kiselis consecrated the foundation of the new church. In the same year was built dwelling house and there was established temporary chapel. Means for the building of the church were given by parish and bishop. In June the church in Sprukti was consecrated by dean J.Kiselis. The church was built and only the towers had to be built. After the consecration services were held in the church. Dean V.Kozlovskis was promoted to vicar and transfered to Varakļāni. In 8 August in Sprukti arrived dean V.Litaunieks. He built the towers of Sprukti Church. In 1938 the dean of Sprukti parish was elected Stanislavs Kokins who finished building of the church.
The church is 28m long, 16m wide and 12m long and has 2 towers. It was built of cement bricks. Its floor is cement, but ceiling – wooden, plastered and vaulted. From the outside the church is not plastered, but inside it is plastered and colored. On both sides of the presbytery there are small sacristies. The church is devoted to St. Anthony. On big altar there is painting of St. Anthony that was brought from Izvalta Church. In side altar there is niche with big statue of Virgin Mary that was also brought from Izvalta Church. On third altar there is painting of Jesus Heart painted by painter Zilvinska.