In 1850 Dinaburg residents turned to Polotsk and Vitebsk bishop Vasilij with a request to permit the building of Orthodox Church in the city. The permission was received and the new church was consecrated in 1877. In 1964 The Soviets closed it. Until 1991 there was a library in the church building. The church regained it in a very poor condition. It was necessary to replace the roof, place a cupola, make repairs and to replace the window frames. In 2007 the first divine service took place in the renovated church.