Daugavpils Fortress Culture and Information Centre is established in the building of a former water tower the foundations of which were laid in 1865. Previosly the building was a component part of the fortress water – supply system and also provided water to the fountain in the fortress boulevard.
Museums and exhibitions
Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre is a multifunctional complex of contemporary art, culture and education situated in the Arsenal building at Daugavpils Fortress. It is the only place in Eastern Europe where the original masterpieces of the famous painter and the founder of the abstract expressionism Mark Rothko can be seen.
Jewish of Daugavpils and Latgale Museum is located on the 2nd floor of the Daugavpils synagogue. The museum exposition tells about Jewish life and living traditions in Latgale and Daugavpils since 1935. The exposition represents the change in the number of Jews, sibling’s stories in photos, household and religious items as well as a variety of publications: magazines, calendars and books about Jews life in Daugavpils and Latgale.
There is a new permanent exposition devoted to the history of medicine in Daugavpils Fortress next to the “White Horse” Art Gallery. Two halls with the total surface of 250 m2 present a great number of objects, photos and documents that tell us how people were treated in centuries past. One of the halls is fully devoted to contraception.
Daugavpils Fortress is a place where the second largest in the Baltic States hibernating bat colony inhabits. The fortress walls with a high humidity, as well as a special microclimate in the fortifications create favorable conditions for dwelling. Exposition of the Daugavpils Bat Centre is located in the lateral room of the Niсholas Gate in Daugavpils Fortress.
The exhibition takes place in the lobby on the 2nd floor of Daugavpils University (DU) building, Vienibas iela 13. The album itself is a property of Vatican Library, it was presented to the Pope Leo XIII in 1888 by the inhabitants of the Baltic region as a gift on the 50th anniversary of the Pope’s ordination.
“Bunker” gallery is located in the basement of an apartment building in the authentic Soviet-era bunker with the heavy original metal door. There are more than 300 exhibits that belongs to different periods of history: the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, World War I and World War II, Latvia’s first independence period and Soviet time.
The museum exhibition is placed in Daugavpils, in Unity House, in the rooms of fitness center. The aim of the museum is to introduce the athletics history to the audience, famous Latvian athletes and their achievements, athletics and bodybuilding competition prizes and to collect materials about the past and present achievements of athletes and systematize the exhibits.
The enthusiasts of Daugavpils Chess and Checkers Museum have studied and compiled information about the history of chess in Daugavpils and Latgale Region from the 19th century up to the present day. All these information is available in Daugavpils Chess and Checkers Museum that is the first museum of its kind in Latvia.