This route is designed to explore the Daugavpils, the second largest city in Latvia. The historical centre of Daugavpils city is an architectural heritage of national importance (the construction work was carried out in the 19th century according to the project endorsed in St Petersburg in 1826). Daugavpils is one of the few cities in Latvia which can pride itself on a unified ensemble of both classic and eclectic styles. The main part of the city is located on the right bank of the Daugava River, between the river and the Great Stropu Lake. Part of the city that is located on the left bank of the Daugava River is called Griva. Griva is the place where Janis Rainis, Latvian writer of poetry, and Rihards Karlis Valdemars Zarins, creator of the image of the coat of arms of the Republic of Latvia and inventor of the graphic design of a silver coin, par value of five lats, spent their school years.
Open the history of Daugavpils!
1. St. Alexander Nevsky Orthodox Church in Daugavpils
3. Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre
6. Daugavpils Regional Studies and Art Museum
12. St. Peter’s in Chains Roman Catholic Church
13. Rīgas Street – Walking Street
15. Daugavpils Clay Art Centre
17. The Centre of Russian Culture (Russian House)
18. The Exposition of Medical History
19. Daugavpils Lead Shot Factory
20. Polish Culture Centre in Daugavpils