The dominating structure of the historical centre of the Daugavpils is the Unity House built during the years of the First Republic (22a Rīgas Street). The Unity House was constructed at the suggestion of the country’s president Karlis Ulmanis using donations and funds provided by the state. The corner stone was laid in 1936, and on December 19, 1937, the blessing of the building and the opening ceremony took place.
The Unity House was designed by the architect Verners Vitands. It was the most modern multifunctional building in Europe housing the Daugavpils theatre, the Latvian Society, a library and other community organizations. The use of antique forms in the architectonical solution of the building implemented in the spirit of functionalism met the aesthetic requirements of that time.
At present, the Unity House accommodates the Daugavpils theatre, the Latvian Cultural Centre, Latvian House, a tourist information centre, the Central Library of Latgale, the US Information Centre, a bank, a café, a fitness club and other institutions. The interiors of the Unity House have been renovated since 2005, and in 2009 the restoration of the facades was started.