Daugavpils Fortress Culture and Information Centre is established in the building of a former water tower the foundations of which were laid in 1865. Previosly the building was a component part of the fortress water – supply system and also provided water to the fountain in the fortress boulevard.
Museum’s permanent exhibition is dedicated to the life and work of first national awakening members in Latvia – Skrinda brothers. There is an opportunity to participate in various thematic programs and local crafts workshops. Here offers the opportunity to taste latgalian traditional food “coma” local bread, honey and herbal tea.
Jewish of Daugavpils and Latgale Museum is located on the 2nd floor of the Daugavpils synagogue. The museum exposition tells about Jewish life and living traditions in Latgale and Daugavpils since 1935. The exposition represents the change in the number of Jews, sibling’s stories in photos, household and religious items as well as a variety of publications: magazines, calendars and books about Jews life in Daugavpils and Latgale.
Daugavpils Fortress is a place where the second largest in the Baltic States hibernating bat colony inhabits. The fortress walls with a high humidity, as well as a special microclimate in the fortifications create favorable conditions for dwelling. Exposition of the Daugavpils Bat Centre is located in the lateral room of the Niсholas Gate in Daugavpils Fortress.
It is possible to learn about the Latvian folk traditions by working practically, participating in workshops and classes in the House of Traditions. Traditional Latvian festivities are celebrated here, folk craft workshops, exhibitions, training sessions on playing folk musical instruments, seminars on traditional Latvian festivals, games and dances, as well as dance evenings, conversations and discussions on preservation of intangible cultural heritage are held here.
Art studio “Putra” is an artist’s Oksana Vronska graphic workshop established in cooperation with forging studio “Edgara Vronska kalēju studija”. Visitors are invited to attend various graphic technique lessons and demonstrations. Graphic lessons develop dimensional imagination, creative thinking and fantasy, and helps to bring into life interesting ideas.
“Bunker” gallery is located in the basement of an apartment building in the authentic Soviet-era bunker with the heavy original metal door. There are more than 300 exhibits that belongs to different periods of history: the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, World War I and World War II, Latvia’s first independence period and Soviet time.