The mass grave of fallen in Latgalian battlefront in 1920 Latvian army soldiers of Latvian fight for freedom is located in Daugavpils Lutheran cemetery. At this place on June 22 in 1928, the President Gustav Zemgals opened a granite monument, which was created by architect Alexander Birzenieks. The monument dimensions are 450x120x80 cm. Its frontal side has a 100×60 cm bronze plate with a sword made in a relief and a text: “To Latvian heroes. Thankful nation.1928”. There is a black granite plate with years 1919-1920 indication on the other side. Daugavpils department of Mass grave committee erected the monument with its own funds. About 200 soldiers are buried in Mass grave. Each grave is decorated with a concrete cross (1939) with a carved fallen soldier’s surname, rank and military unit. There are burial places of Polish soldiers between Latvian graves. Each grave hill has a concrete cross with carved fallen surname, name in Latvian and rank.
Daugavpils Lutheran cemetery